August 03, 2004
 
« Last Comic Standing »

Tonight was the "semifinals" of "Last Comic Standing." The final six comedians will soon be cut down to three next week.

All of them had pretty good performances. If I were to vote solely on their act tonight, here's how they would stand (e. g., the Last Comic Standing Comic Standings):

1. Kathleen Madigan
2. Alonzo Bodden
3. John Heffron
4. Gary Gulman
5. Jay London
6. Tammy Pescatelli

Here's the thing: Tammy Pescatelli has said funny things before, but the new material wasn't that powerful. She had Janet Jackson jokes and Paris Hilton jokes, but those are old news. Nobody cares anymore. Gary Gulman seems to be getting funnier and funnier, but I still wish he delivered the jokes with more energy. This was the first time I really saw Kathleen Madigan, because she had never done a head-to-head competition. Maybe that's her A-list material, maybe that's her B-list material. Jay London didn't have the greatest set, but that's only because the four above him were exceptional. John Heffron's bit was continuous, which none of the other comics had done. His four minute bit about picking up a girl in a bar was very funny. I don't pick up chicks in bars ("oh, really? That's news to me") , but it seemed as if I would be able to relate to it. Alonzo Bodden's material also referenced earlier jokes, which made it memorable. He does have good delivery, and even though he's black, he doesn't force his blackness upon us like Corey Holcomb did.

After some soul searching, I will vote for the top three performances. Jay London didn't blow it himself—the other comics rose above him. I was planning on Jay, Alonzo and John to get my votes, but that's not how it turned out.



Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com