June 11, 2004
 
« Something cynical this way comes »

"Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban" was a very fun movie. But you have to be kidding me. The book was excellent, and the two don't compare.

I'm just going to say it now. Anybody who watches the movies without reading the books -- and after the movies, refuses to read the book -- is just begging to be called a dumbass.

"But I don't like reading!" I hate reading. I loved reading these books. The action seems to take place faster in the book than it does in the movie. The books read so fast, and you'll be shockingly more impressed with the books.

"But I don't have time!" Yes you do. Stop watching MTV. Nothing good is on.

The fact that people don't want to read these books -- and, yes! Wait at least a year to see "Goblet of Fire!" -- makes my blood boil in a way I never thought "children's books" could.

However, once you get into "Prisoner of Azkaban," The Harry Potter series ceases to be for young adults. They start killing characters in "Goblet of Fire," and one of the main characters gets offed in "The Order of the Phoenix." And that is slated for a 2007 release, according to IMDB.

Look, you can wait for Star Wars, because even if you read what happens, it is the special effects that carry these movies. Harry Potter doesn't focus around special effects, this thing's mostly about plot at this point. The flying brooms don't amuse much anymore.


OTHER MOVIE TALK (BECAUSE I AM YOUR #1 SOURCE FOR MOVIE INFO) I shall see "The Stepford Wives" on Friday. Rotten Tomatoes gave it a rotten tomato (20% rating as of Friday... yikes) but I'll keep an open mind. Although Ferris -- er -- Matthew Broderick, with a glimmer of gray hair on his head, looks a little older... say, oh, 20 years old.

"Saved!" looks good, because:
(+) It claims to be a Christian satire
(+) The trailer was very funny.

but...
(-) Mandy Moore is in it (this is about 5 minuses, which would be much worse if she actually sang the feature song)
(-) Bottom line, it's a teen movie.

Oh Lord, show me the way.

Just kidding, I'll figure it out by myself.


AND NOW, SPORTS WITH ME The Detroit Pistons beat the L. A. Lakers 88-68, going up in the series 2-1.

My prediction changes a little but stays the same: If Detroit does not win Game 4 AND Game 5, they do not win the seriesI think a Laker win in Detroit would be too much to come back from, with the momentum and venue changing.

Keep in mind I am rooting for the Pistons to win, but I've been disappointed before, and that's not gonna happen this time. The only time I've been happy with the outcome -- The 1996 Atlanta Braves World Series championship and the 2001 Arizona Diamondbacks World Series championship.


MUSIC... WHOOPS I was planning on listing my 20 least favorite songs ever, but that didn't happen. I will spend more time on this and post tomorrow. (For the record, the poll on the right is NOT my list, but most of it was yanked from VH1's "50 Most Awesomely Bad Songs Ever" list.

One person had Ray Charles dying this year in the dead pool. Kind of a shock despite his age. We are now flying solo on one blind, African American R&B singer. How will we prevail?


Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com