May 14, 2004
 
« A nerd's pain, felt through a touchtone phone »

I was never one to say in class, "Could you repeat the question?"

Thankfully calling into the Super Millionaire qualifying hotline doesn't allow for such a question. But boy, I could have used it last night.

When you call in, you must successfully answer five questions, and they are of the Fastest Finger variety (put four things in a certain order).

I had never made it past that third question. Last night I got the third one right, got the fourth one right, and missed the last one.

I had to put four natural wonders in geographical order, starting at the International Dateline and going west.

I was screwed when they said the first one, which was a weird name so I didn't catch it. Then I was given Mt. Everest, Victoria Falls, and Great Barrier Reef. However, I was screwed again (does that mean I was gangraped?) because I thought Victoria Falls was either in British Columbia or in Australia, and Zimbabwe (where it really is) never crossed my mind.

So close, but at least I get to try again.

If you wanted to give it a shot, the number is 1-(800) 999-7878.

Advice: I like to use a cordless phone with a headset plugged in so I can easily access the buttons on the phone. You only have 10 seconds for each question, so don't even bother looking it up. Also I pulled up a Notepad text file for scratchwork and getting down the stuff the phone tells me. That first one is normally very easy, then the second-fifth ones are pretty challenging.

If you make it, I'll be glad to be your lifeline. Then again, what are the odds of that -- anybody who goes to this site more than once probably became dumber for having not read something intelligent.


I'M GETTING GOOD AT THIS Last night's series finale of "Frasier" was one of the best finales to a show I have ever seen.

It was as funny as the other ones, and it included a classic scene where there was misunderstandings and panic. Nice touch with Jason Biggs as a veterinarian. Fred Willard was in the clip show as the psychiatrist who was listening to Frasier.

It's unfortunate that I predicted what will happen, though, but it was less obvious than a Ross and Rachel moment.

But most of all, it actually left us hanging, though an optimist can take a nice guess at what would happen.

Another spinoff is being planned, and it would still follow around "Frasier." My parents agree -- Kelsey Grammer never carried the show. It had great writing and a great cast. He would need that again, and to be in three shows with a wonderful cast is wishful thinking. (But since he was added into "Cheers" a couple years into the show I shouldn't refer to that show as his.)



Another cottage weekend in store for me -- don't expect anything until Sunday night at the earliest.


Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com