May 12, 2004
 
« Hey mind reader: read this! »

So there's this show, "The Mentalist." Kinda cool, guy reads minds.

But I have many problems with it, because people don't read minds. People don't even read Playboy Magazine. They stare.

1) Mentalist blindfolds himself and drives four blocks down Broadway in New York City. I don't see the mind reading in that, that's just idiocy + hearing other cars. He said he had one "lapse in judgment," which was when he ran into a parked van. Yeah, I wouldn't hear that either.


2) Mentalist has people say where they're from, then he writes something down on a "secret board." He blindfolds the two people and has them walk towards a map of the United States. They are to point to and land on the state they were from. First guy's from Massachusetts -- he points to Iowa. Then the next one, a girl from Pennsylvania, goes and points to Nebraska blindfolded (just like the first one). He then shows down on the board that he marked down Iowa and Nebraska.

What strikes me as odd is that he had a girl "hold the board" while he conducted this, for lack of a better term, magic trick. Sure, the girl's from the audience, but how easy would it be to quickly prep her and tell her which states to put down? I suspect this because one of the states (Nebraska) was way at the top of the board, and I don't recall him putting anything on the top of the board. Just a suspicion...


3) He had on the Coors Light twins to show how twins share senses with each other. First of all, this was the best you could do? These girls have been in more commercials then they deserve. They were even in Scary Movie 3. How can they be the face(s) of Coors Light? I can see them being the face of the Goodyear Blimp -- their heads are chock full of what the blimp has inside of it.

After their little bit on The Mentalist, what were the next two commercials? That "Surf City" flavored Coors Light commercial, and an ad to buy the Scary Movie 3 DVD. What, couldn't they find one of those old Wrigley's Doublemint gum spots?


Conclusion: Mind reading makes for entertaining TV I'll admit -- and I'll probably watch it in the future -- but since it's not live, I don't buy a minute of it. Plus, I bet most of you think I have a beef with the Coors Light twins because I don't have their phone number.

But they're so hare-brained, even if I did call them they'd hear the phone ring and try to answer the door.


Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com