January 17, 2004
 
« It's a drunk, drunk, drunk, drunk, drunk world »

Seems like having a few drinks every now and then is fine. The young people will tell you that it's OK to get drunk every week, even though "adults" consider that binge drinking, and the kids don't buy that. They're just having fun, and they're not hurting anybody.

I don't drink. That's my choice, and everyone accepts it. What they don't like is when I can't accept their drinking habits. They say I am too condescending, and that it's none of my business.

Sure.

But then what happens?

A Ball State University student is too drunk to cooperate with the police, and is shot at point-blank range.
A 20-year old from Ohio (BG Student) is missing after egging cars and running from the police.
An 18 year old New Jersey cheerleader falls to her death naked from the 9th floor balcony of a hotel in Hawaii

This is just three examples. There are countless more which didn't make the news, or happened a long time ago, and I don't remember them.

Meanwhile, college students continue to go to Canada for the weekend, and throw parties. Somehow Thursday became part of the weekend.

I decide to write about this, in hopes of using my sarcastic "tough love" to spread this message across campus.

What's the reaction?

I used the example of Garrit Nixon (the missing kid from Ohio) as somebody whose bad decisions involving alcohol may have cost him his life, and now I have been labeled as somebody out to defame his image.

Resultantly, the BG News has decided to halt my involvement with the newspaper for two weeks, during which I cannot edit nor write for them. Meanwhile, the world will continue to accept, encourage, and reward college teens to get loaded all weekend, every weekend. And I am being punished.

If you drink, you don't deserve to die, but if you die, and your drunkenness had to do with it, then what am I to say? George Carlin was right; your popularity goes straight up when you die.


Powered by Blogger

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com